What documents does a legal permanent resident (LPR) or Green Card holder need to travel internationally?


Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”, INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States. U.S. LPRs do not need a passport to enter the United States as per (8 CFR 211.1(a)), however, they may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements.  While CBP does not require the passport as noted above, the airlines may have their own requirements, please check with your airlines prior to travel.  Also, travel documents for LPRs do not need to be valid for any certain amount of time.  Your LPR card only needs to be valid on the day that you are entering the US.

(LPRs that are out of the U.S. for more than 180 days are subject to new immigrant inspection procedures as per 8 USC 1101).

 Foreign nationals that have applied for permanent residency may need to be approved for advance parole (prior to traveling out of the U.S.) in order to be readmitted when traveling back to the U.S. (H1, H4, L1, L2, K3, K4 or V2, V3 holders do not require advance parole to travel abroad after applying to adjust status).

Updated: August 6, 2013

The Law Offices of Rose H. Robbins represents LPR (Green Card Holders) with travel issues.  Please call us at: (954) 946-8130 to schedule your free telephone consultation or send an email to rose <at> roserobbins dot com.  This is a FREE consultation and you will not be charged for this call or email.

You may also fill out the “Contact an Immigration Lawyer” form below for instant delivery to our confidential email system.  The Law Office of Rose H. Robbins will contact you within twenty-four (24) business hours of receipt of this form to discuss your questions. I understand that by submitting this form that the Law Office of Rose H. Robbins does not represent me and are are not my attorney and there is no attorney-client relationship by submitting my question or requesting that the Law Office of Rose H. Robbins contact me. I understand that the ONLY way that the Law Office of Rose H. Robbins will represent me is by entering into a written fee agreement/retainer agreement and that this form is not a fee agreement/retainer agreement.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Disclaimer: The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This blog is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Disclaimer : The information provided at this site is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or under all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of the Law Offices of  Rose H. Robbins or establish an attorney-client relationship.