Canadians Can Extend or Adjust Visitor Stay by Applying to USCIS

Canadian citizens do not require a visa to enter the United States directly from Canada for the purposes of visiting and studying. However, as of 23 January 2007, all Canadians entering the U.S. require passports.

There are some exceptions to this rule — for example, intending immigrants, fiances or investors must qualify for a visa before entry in the same manner as other nationalities. Other entrants, such as journalists, temporary workers or NAFTA professionals must present all necessary supporting documentation and/or approved petitions directly to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection Officer at the Port of Entry.

Canadian visitors are generally granted a stay in the U.S. for up to six months at the time of entry. Requests to extend or adjust a stay must be made prior to expiry to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. All Canadians are reminded that U.S. law requires all foreigners to qualify for the desired stay and purpose at the time of their initial entry. A visitor who intends to live, work or study in the U.S. without disclosing this information beforehand may be permanently barred from the U.S.

Members of Canada’s First Nations and Native Americans born in Canada may travel freely across the U.S/Canada border under the terms of the Jay Treaty.

Some persons born abroad have a claim to U.S. citizenship.

Attorney Rose H Robbins is a former Canadian citizen and takes a special interest in guiding Canadians interested in living and/or working in the U.S.

Apply online now with the Law Offices of Rose H Robbins to find out about the application of these principles to your individual situation or call (954) 946-8130.